Strawberry “Pick-Your-Own” season is in full swing here on the east coast. C and I headed out the last weekend of May to make sure to be the first ones at the farm to pick. We failed miserably. Arriving 5 minutes before 7 a.m., we were about the 20th there!
The fields were full of anxious pickers at Weaver’s Orchard and we jumped in as fast as we could. Who cares if the movers were coming for the day at 8:30 a.m. to pack our house up?
It is one of our favorite times of year and no one was going to stop us. The first of the many pick-your-owns in this area, the first of the many canning sessions (yee-haw Strawberry Rhubarb Jam), and the first of the delicious freshest of the fresh fruit that summer has to offer! May 31st was the first day to pick, but certainly not the peak of the season which means there is plenty more picking to be had (especially if you are lucky enough to be moving up north right in the middle of the season;).
We picked 11 1/2 pounds of fruit that day. That’s enough to make many things, so I thought I’d share with you our favorite ways to use them!
1. Strawberry Jam – First (after eating many in the field) we got right to canning some strawberry jam. Our canning efforts took about 5 pounds of strawberries and for that we got 2- 1/2 pint jars and 11- 4oz jars.
2. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Bars – We stopped by the farm market on the way out to grab a few stalks of rhubarb and made this, a favorite recipe of ours!
3. Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins – Perfect for on-the-go breakfasts in the spring/summertime!
4. Strawberry Limeade – The first of many summer drinks! This one is delicious!
5. Strawberry and Spinach Salad with a homemade balsamic.
6. Strawberry Shortcake – a classic at all strawberry festivals that we have ever been to!
7. Morning Smoothies with Strawberries – We love starting our days off with one of these.
What are your favorite ways to use your strawberry haul?
As if you needed any more reason, here are my 5 reasons why you should pick-your-own fruit with your kids.