I have started a weekly meal plan that is centered on what we are getting in our CSA share, so I will do less talking about how I am using it in my weekly CSA post. That way you don’t have to hear it twice. You’re welcome.
The one thing that I have not had trouble using from our share are the carrots. I SO look forward to these treats! Honestly, I am not exaggerating at all when I say that they are the best carrots I have ever tasted. They are so naturally sweet, it is amazing. I was just talking with a fellow CSA member today and she was saying how her kids also attack them as soon as she brings them inside. Plus they love the fact that they are yellow! Before this, I had never been a huge carrot person. I have always eaten them, but never craved them. I now look forward to eating them every day in every way I can. I will have to ask Tim from Eckerton what variety he plants so that I can pass along the secret to all of you!
On the other hand, I had been a little stuck at the beginning of our share on finding ways to use all of the arugula we were getting. It took me a while to branch out and start using it in meals other than just salads, but after a few weeks of receiving it in our box, I finally have a handle on some ways that make it a bit more delicious…
I actually prefer the name salad rocket (another commonly used name for arugula). To me, that name fits it much more as it correlates to its pepper-like flavor!
Here is my list of sure fire ways to use up that salad rocket and make everyone blast off into flavorful bliss:
1. Salads – of course! Though some may enjoy a pure arugula salad, I like to put just a few pieces on mine. Arugula has a fairly strong peppery/spicy flavor. So, depending on your tastes, use as much as you want!
2. Homemade Pizza – I am dreaming of an arugula, prosciutto, feta (or goat cheese), and onion pizza. To me, that sounds delicious. But maybe just get some added nutrients on your regular pizza by throwing on a few sprigs.
3. Soup – Here is one to try: Multiple Personality Artichoke Arugula Soup. I’m sure we will be getting our fair share of both artichokes and arugula this summer, so I will be trying this for sure! Next time, I may even toss some in my Navy Bean with Vegetables Soup.
4. Breakfast Sandwiches – We have also been enjoying a fresh homemade loaf of bread from our CSA share each week. I have been cooking an egg , adding a small bit of cheese, and putting it on two thin slices of the bread, then topping it off with arugula. The salad rocket adds just enough of a bite to kick it up a notch, right into the gourmet breakfast level.
5. Apple Cheese Panini – I can’t get over this one. This Panini looks absolutely delicious! Honestly, adding arugula to any Panini would make it delicious I think!
6. Pesto – Yep…just that simple! Add some EVOO, pine nuts, garlic, and parmesan (if desired) and process. This would be delicious on that egg sandwich too!
7. Smoothie with Pineapple – I love arugula paired with any citrus or acidic fruit. The taste is delicious, so throw arugula in your next smoothie and enjoy! Or, throw some citrus in your next salad for a different effect.
8. Pasta Dishes – Arugula is fantastic in pasta dishes, especially those that sport a cream sauce. Here is an example of one that I am dying to try: Gnocchi, Sweet Corn, and Arugula in a Cream Sauce. Unfortunately, the family isn’t as keen on cream sauces…
I would love to hear how these work out! What are your favorite ways to use arugula?