A few years ago, heck, it may have even been last year, we were visiting friends during apple/pear season and my friend Angie made this AMAZING pear cake. I am talking amazing! Of course, after my family all adored it, I asked for the recipe and she pointed me in the right direction. We have been enjoying this delicious cake ever since with a few tweaks:)
The original recipe was from Taste of Home and can be found here.
Iced Pear Cake
2 cups sugar
1 cup Homemade Applesauce (doesn’t have to be homemade:)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon*
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups thinly chopped pears
1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1. Grease a tube pan or 9×13 glass baking dish.
2. Whisk three eggs together until thoroughly mixed.
3. Add in sugar and mix.
4. Add in vegetable oil and applesauce and vanilla.
5. Mix together flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Slowly combine with liquid mixture.
6. Fold in chopped pears.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (or in my case a BBQ skewer since that is what I usually use:).
8. Make the icing by stirring milk and confectioner’s sugar together. Drizzle over warm cake.