C fell off the monkey bars at school this week. As the hardwood installers were working on Tuesday afternoon, I got a call from the school nurse saying that she thought C may have fractured her arm and I need to come right away. Indeed, this was the case. After two hospitals, fairly emergent surgery because of the loss of sensation in fingers on her left hand, an overnight at CHOP, and quite a bit of pain, C is finally re-cooperating and the Blakesley family did what we do worst this weekend which was to relax.
I say relax, but really what it was was confine ourselves to our home, do some snuggling, and start to plan out and put some things in order.
Like I said, in the middle of our “emergency” this week, the flooring company was in installing our MUCH NEEDED floors after the flood. And while we were at the hospital my fabulous parents and friends moved around a houseful of furniture so that they could continue on with the carpet and get the job done.
I am happy to say, after an entire month, no more canvas and floorboards!
Here is where we are…
Let’s start with the floors.
We installed a dark, espresso colored 3/4 inch hardwood in 5 inch planks throughout the hallway, foyer, bathroom, closets, and kitchen. I am in love.
In the playroom we had a tan-ish colored carpet installed. Super neutral, but that was what we were going for.
Hard to believe but, Ben took the opportunity with everything out of the pantry and closet to paint them white. For the first time since we moved in, our house is without pink! Woot!
In the kitchen:
We moved the island and had an electrician come in and disconnect the electric since the island will not be returning to its previous location.
In the bathroom:
We (and by we I mean my father) painted three walls of the bathroom Friendly Yellow (Sherwin Williams) and one white. Don’t worry, that wall isn’t staying white, there are plans in the works…STAY TUNED!
And where we are going…
Here is my inspiration for this room:
- Vince from Country Additions is building us a custom island with a breakfast bar for our kitchen. Wait until you see the design…I CAN’T WAIT! It should be done this week. He is also refacing our cabinets, but that will be after the island.
- We’ll need to get the electrician back in to rewire the kitchen island.
- Because of where the island is going, we need to get a bench to put against the half wall for seating to create more room for the kitchen table.
- Paint…I am having trouble choosing colors on this one:/
- I also need to paint the kitchen table and chairs I scored off of a flea market site. It is slightly bigger and will fit 6 chairs (or seats) around it.
- The pantry needs a bit of reorganization, but I am waiting on this to really plan out how it will go.
Like I said, I have a surprise for you next week and it looks AWESOME!
- The bathroom is Friendly Yellow. I’ll be accenting it in teal.
- We need a new, white toilet and a pedestal sink. I also need to find a light fixture and mirror, towel holder, wall cabinet, toilet paper holder, etc. This bathroom is getting a TOTAL overhaul:) I have caught word of this place called Heeby’s that sells contractor left overs so I’ll be checking it out this week to try to score some good deals.
- I need to replace our bathroom stool. I’d like to paint an unfinished one.
We had just updated this room two years ago with new paint and new storage furniture so there is little to do in here.
- We had an old(er) reclining chair that didn’t really fit in the room. We’ll be heading down to Ikea to get a comfy reading chair for the kids.
That closet, yeah, it needs some organization…just not sure how I am going to do it yet:) Any ideas?
So, now that C is on the mend, we are hoping that things are looking up:)