So, I am a godmother again! WAHOOO!!!! My sweet little godson and his gorgeous red locks were baptized last Sunday. After the ceremony, we celebrated with a little party back at my friend Erin’s home. I was helping open up crackers and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a country-ish looking jar. Erin’s mom was pouring what smelled like an amazing appetizer into a bowl to serve. It was called…Apple Pie in a Jar. Straight from Vermont came this jar of amazingness. Well, I decided that I needed to create a recipe that I could use for parties for years to come. That I did. So, I give you…Apple Pie Spread Served With Pie Crust Cookies (my best idea to date!).
Apple Pie Spread
1 1/2 large local apples, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Combine all ingredients in a small, appetizer size slow cooker (I use a Rival kind of like this one). You could also use a small pot for this.
2. Simmer until ingredients are just soft enough to mash. You want the mixture to remain chunky when mashing it.
3. You can serve this spread warm or chilled. I actually prefer the later.
4. Serve with Pie Crust Cookies (see below).
Pie Crust Cookies
- Take your favorite pie crust and roll it out. Using a small biscuit cutter (or other adorable cookie cutter), cut out shapes and place them on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for ~10 minutes until browned. Serve with Apple Pie Spread.
My favorite pie crusts:
- Basic Sweet Pie Crust
- Cinnamon Roll Pie Crust – maybe a bit more work, this one looks pretty amazing and probably more than worth it!
- If you are gluten free, Bob’s Red Mill just came out with a Gluten Free Pie Crust.
*This post may contain affiliate links.