One thing you should know about me: I am in love with my stoneware. My deep covered baker in particular. I am also in love with my crockpot but some days when I am going to be home all day and there is a chill in the air, I would just rather have something in the oven.
Last week, we got some mustard greens in our CSA share. Mustard greens are not new to me. We have received them numerous times and I have really been enjoying cooking with them. They offer this all-natural flavor that is unexpected (even though it shouldn’t be…many marinades and sauces are made from them). So, I was doing my weekly clean out of the fridge, making room for our next share and threw a bunch of items together. Most times this turns out totally fine but this time it turned out a bit extraordinary. One of those meals that my family has been asking for again ever since. Of course it is partly because of the gravy:)
Apple Chicken and Veggies with Mustard Greens and Quinoa
3 breasts of chicken, cubed
1 1/2 cups cubed German Butterball Potatoes
1/2 cup sliced organic carrots
1 cup cubed acorn or butternut squash
1 cup chopped mustard greens
3/4 cup chopped green beans
1/4 thin sliced MacIntosh apple
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 Tbsp garlic paste (I used Gourmet Garden)
1 1/2 cup broth from baking dish
2 Tbsp mostly melted butter
3 Tbsp unrefined all purpose butter
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
1. Add all ingredients for the main dish to your covered stoneware.
*I put the sliced apple on top and did not mix it in.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for ~3 hours, stirring once halfway through.
3. About 2 1/2 hours in, make your quinoa. I take one cup of plain quinoa and place it in a pot with 2 cups of chicken broth. I bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for ~ 20 minutes. Here is where I got my “basic quinoa” recipe.
4. When the chicken dish is done, pull it out of the oven. With a baster, suck out the broth that is at the bottom and put in a separate bowl. Combine melted butter and flour in a separate small bowl. Add to the broth and whisk. Pour this over the chicken dish and stir.
5. Serve chicken over quinoa!